Filing a Motion to Turn Over Funds

Having old tax that you have not paid is something that can get you into some sticky financial situations. One outcome of this is receiving a bank levy from the IRS. If the IRS has issued a bank levy on your account, after obtaining a bank levy writ of execution, then all of your funds are going to be frozen. You will not have any access to them, and they will be turned over the government after 21 days. After the money in an account has been frozen, then the IRS has the ability to file a Motion to Turn Over Funds.

When the IRS files a Motion to Turn Over Funds, this is what will allow them to actually take the money out of your account. If the court approves this request, then your bank account will be emptied after the 21 days have passed. If you don't take any action to try and settle your debts in this time, then you will not be able to get these funds protected. As such, it's really important for you to respond and try to work something out.

Responding to a Motion

If you and your bank have been served this important legal document, then you will have an option to respond to it. In most courts, you will be given a full 10 days to make your response. If you believe that you have some legal recourse, then you may want to respond in that matter. In this time, you also may be able to call the IRS and speak to them about your debts. There are some options that you can go with but you need to be proactive about it and get things settled within this 10 days.

Securing a Lawyer

Most likely, the IRS has employed a good legal team in order to file this motion to get your funds. As such, it may be a good idea for you to get a lawyer as well. You may need some good legal advice to help you get out of this situation, so you should look around and see what kind of lawyers are out there. It will cost you some money to get a lawyer for these issues, but it can actually end up saving you a lot of money in the long run. See what local lawyers in your area are charging for fees and compare prices.

If you do get a lawyer, you need to have him or her go through and make sure that everything is accurate on the Motion to Turn Over Funds that was filed. If there is an error with the way that the paperwork was filed, then you may have some legal recourse to challenge it. Talk this over with your lawyer and see what options you have. You may be able to appeal this motion if you discover that the information contained within it is inaccurate or incomplete.

Once the IRS is through filing a Motion to Turn Over Funds, you may be in a bad financial situation. In order to get out of this and solve your financial problems, you may need some professional help. There are a lot of financial advisors out there for you to choose from, and there are going to be some who specialize in helping with IRS debt. Look and see which professionals are in your area and see which of these will offer you the lowest rates for help. IRS debt is very serious, so you should take steps to get out of it as soon as possible.