Solving Tax Debt Created By Your Spouse

Sometimes, there are financial issues related to a marriage or divorce that cause lots of trouble for one spouse, using credit cards during bank levy, for example. Oftentimes, this has something to do with tax issues or tax debt. If one spouse has been guilty of an offense or has created tax debt while he or she was married, this does not mean that the other spouse is off the hook. Many people assume that just because their spouse was the one to actually file the tax papers, that they can't be held responsible for these issues.

Spouses can be held responsible for the things that their other halves do while they are married. This comes as a surprise to a lot of people because they assume that they can't be held responsible for something that their spouses did. When you're married, you're both responsible for your tax filings. If your spouse did something on your taxes and it's caused a tax debt, you could be held responsible for it. There are ways around this, but you'll need to qualify for them before you can be eligible to benefit from any one of them.

Ways to Deal with Debt

One of the first things that people do when they are faced with tax debt issues created by their spouses is speak directly with their spouses. While this can be a good idea for some, it's not necessarily going to be the best thing for you. Sometimes, the situation between spouses will not be amicable, and talking to your spouse directly could end up creating a lot more problems than it actually solves. If you don't think that your spouse will take well to a direct conversation, then you may want to go with some other options.

One of the options that you have for dealing with tax debt caused by your spouse is to apply for innocent spouse relief. This is something that can help you relieve your responsibility for the tax debt, but there are certain guidelines that need to be met before you can qualify for this. You need to be able to show that the tax debt was created by the actions of your spouse and not by you. You also need to be able to show that you did not know about the errors on your tax form when you signed the return.

If you cannot qualify for innocent spouse relief, then you may be able to quality for equitable relief. This is a bit more complicated than innocent spouse relief, and you need to be able to provide lots of evidence when applying for this. You will need to be sure that you cannot qualify for innocent spouse relief before you try this, and you will need to prove that you did not know of the tax evasion and that you did not benefit from it in any way. You also need to have filed the right forms within the time frame specified by the IRS to get this type of relief.

Getting Help from Professionals

Sometimes solving tax debt created by your spouse is a difficult issue that you may need to get some help with. If you're not sure about what you should do in order to get this tax debt handled, then you should contact a tax professional who can help you with this issue. If you look around, you should be able to find some qualified professionals who will help you with whatever you need. Dealing with tax debt that was caused by your spouse should not be something that you face on your own.